2 – 3 Month Intern Program (An Investment in your future) (sometimes we waive the 2-3 month requirement for overseas volunteers or those with specific skills we are seeking) 25 Hrs/Week (which includes some domestic duties).
If you share our commitment to actively seeking and sharing a life of love, wellness and service in harmony with nature, we look forward to hearing from you. Have you ever wanted to get away for one to three months and live on a 7-acre Farm and Cancer Retreats Center that uses Medicine-less Healing Practices (which includes Korean Natural farming, Agroforestery in Hawaii, and Zhineng Qigong, overlooking the ocean in an old Hawaiian style rural area? Picking fresh bananas, papaya, mangoes, and organic vegetables year round. Working in an area where the air is the cleanest in the world. Minutes from the beach. Doing qigong every day either in our Chinese temple or on the lawn overlooking the ocean. Taking outdoor showers. Hiking the many trails in and around the ocean, waterfalls and valleys, on an island that has all but two of the climates that exist in the world. Gazing at the stars, as you’ve never seen them before. Meditating and communicating with Madam Pele.
Tatianna Muniz from New York is a recent intern and shares her experience at Kokolulu
We are looking for individuals who can make a 2-3 month commitment to join us. These people are required to put in 25 hrs. a week working with the land (permaculture design and organic gardening, planting, pulling weeds, watering, etc.) painting, housekeeping, meal preparation (vegetarian style) and kitchen clean up or other required maintenance. We provide lodging, breakfast during our Monday morning meeting (other meals you use the on site provided kitchen and are responsible for your own food, although we often have surplus food from the gardens and fruit trees), use of the temple, a computer with high speed internet access, and other facilities. We are a non-smoking/drug-free property. Pre-requisite: You must have intiative, be hard-working and energetic (we work hard and expect others at Kokolulu to work hard, as well), good sense of humor, ability to enjoy life. Pluses (but not required): Back ground in Natural Farming, Biodynamic/Permaculture, Agroforestry (see exciting Life in Syntrophy video) and organic farming. (We teach all of these practices), Some qigong experience, permaculture design and organic farming, fluent in Mandarin Chinese, translating Mandarin Chinese documents, bodywork, play musical instrument.- Application required (see below) – (808) 889-9893; Ask for Lew at Kokolulu Farm and Cancer Retreats Inc. in Hawaii, P.O. Box 340, Hawi HI 96719 or e-mail: email@example.com
There is no “normal day”in the life of a Kokolulu intern – most of the 25 hours is centered around working in the gardens, planting, pulling weeds, also painting and cleaning of the buildings, etc.. Doing what is needed to keep Kokolulu going and being of service for the good of our guests who come here to heal. See Katherine’s story (she came to Kokolulu over 2 years ago and is still cancer free).
Intern Application Process (Please answer all questions)
1. Please send us a letter of interest (via e-mail preferably) answering the following questions (please include the question with your response) Don’t forget to send us a photo of yourself:
- What is your background, interests, hobbies, the life style you are looking for, the environment you care to live and work in?
- What do you have to offer us (specific skills/experience – past and present)?
- Are you willing to do cooking (vegetarian style),cleaning, manual labor like pulling weeds, painting, building, etc.?
- Do you have a fear of bugs/Geckos, wildlife, darkness (we are located in a tropical environment – while there are no snakes, there are bugs, etc.)
- Are you an organizer, leader, follower?
- Do have health insurance?
- Are you self motivated?
- Do you enjoy humor?
- When are you available?
- What length of stay are you looking for (we prefer people to come for three months; we sometimes make exceptions if you are from overseas/another country or have specific skills we are seeking)?
- Are you addicted (currently or in the past) to alcohol, tobacco, or other drugs? If so, have you been in treatment? How long ago? Your current status?
- What are you healing in your life right now?
- What’s your motivation/what do you hope to gain from coming here?
- What are your expectations of us?
- Would you be willing to send us personal references)?
We require that you send us a digital picture of yourself.
You are more than welcome to call us at (808) 889-9893 in the USA (preferably around 7:00 a.m. or 7:00 p.m.) We are two to three hours (depending on daylight savings time in your area) earlier than San Francisco on the west coast of the mainland USA. You can find pictures of our place and the area close by throughout our website.
2. Once your application has been received we will notify you as such, and ask that you set up a phone interview with Lew and Karin. After the interview our team will assemble and decide whether we consider you a “fit” for our program. It may be that we will have to hold on to the information gathered until an opening occurs. We will let you know one way or the other.
3. If you are selected to the intern position you will be asked to sign the intern contract (see below) and send it along with a check for $390 (the money goes to the non-profit Kokolulu and supports those who have chronic illness, and can not afford Kokolulu’s services. We will pick you up and deliver you to – when you leave the Kona Airport Airport code KOA). This fee is nonrefundable – to hold your spot. Please note, if you leave before your time is up, or are asked to leave, due to disciplinary issues, you forfeit the $390 fee. If your plans change after having sent the fee (before you arrive), we will credit you to come at a different mutually agreeable time. Please review the intern services contract (below) in advance to see if this is what you are looking for in a intern experience.
4. You will be required to send a list of emergency contacts (with their name address, phone number, and e-mail addresses).
We hope to hear from you!
Kokolulu Intern Program Contract
Just outside the small town of Hawi in the scenic North Kohala area of the Big Island of Hawaii’s, the Kokolulu Farm and Cancer Retreats Center lies nestled within seven acres of rolling green pastures with breathtaking ocean views and spectacular Mauna Kea vistas. Gentle tropical trade winds make the air among the cleanest in the world.
This peaceful rural natural farming facility is ecologically responsible and environmentally sensitive. Off the grid, solar electricity. Every effort is made to walk lightly upon the earth and preserve it for future generations.
What Kokolulu has to offer you:
- Learning Master Cho’s Natural Farming techniques (Lew has been certified by Korea’s Master Cho Young San Cho JADAM)
- Learning Medicine – less healing which includes qigong by Zhineng Qigong teachers Lew and Karin, both trained in China over the past 20 years by Zhineng Qigong masters who worked at the medicine-less hospital as healers and teachers.
- A physical environment that promotes peace and healing
- Beautiful landscaping, permaculture design and and bio-dynamic/organic farming
- Opportunity to better understand cancer – prevention and treatment
- Awe-inspiring sunrises and sunsets
- A morning chorus of tropical birds and neighboring roosters
- The contemplative sound of rustling coconut fronds and bamboo
- A completely smoke-free environment
- Daily (required) qigong practice, optional yoga-based stretching, walking/running, bike riding, etc.
- Dragon Water Gardens!
- Healthy lifestyle (early to bed, early to rise), including fresh organic vegetarian food, exercise and warm outdoor showers
- Lodging and use of an on site kitchen and are responsible for your own food, although we sometimes have surplus food from the gardens and fruit trees; access to laundry facilities; Internet/computer access.
- Daily Qigong practice
- Opportunity to meditate in the Chinese temple on the property
- Opportunity to learn qi gong, and to participate in healing workshops on site
- Laughter, good conversation, new friendships.
- Time and Support to explore your own healing path
- Space for your own personal garden
- Use of a bicycle (please provide your own helmet)
- Incredible view of the stars
- Proximity to the ocean, famous beaches, sacred Hawaiian healing sites, hiking trails, waterfalls
- The loving presence of our Golden Retriever dogs and three cats
- We will pick you up when you arrive and drop you off when you leave (as long as you arrive and depart at the Kailua-Kona Airport airport code KOA).
What Kokolulu expects from you:
- Practice qigong with the rest of the group here each day (Monday – Friday)
- Your hard working initiative and self-starting approach, and willingness to participate respectfully in the daily life of the farm and cancer retreats center.
- A desire to live in quiet community away from the big city. We do not cator to people who are into partying.
- A sense of humor
- Openess & honest communication, willing to learn new things and work cooperatively without drama.
- To resolve conflict peacefully using the Hawaiian Hooponopono process.
- 25 hours/week of work exchange (which includes several hours a week doing domestic chores like cleaning the bath rooms and washing dishes). This could include grounds and building maintenance (including painting buildings in bright colors), organic biodynamic gardening (planting, weeding, watering, harvesting), housekeeping, cooking. The work is often strenuous. In addition, interns are required to help out with washing dishes, cleaning shared spaces (bathrooms), bed rooms, and/or laundry.
- Respect for yourself, others and the earth
- A 2-3 month commitment of your time (sometimes we waive this requirement for overseas volunteers or those with specific skills we are seeking)
- A fee of $390 (An Investment in yourself) – this fee is to be paid in advance to secure your spot on our intern team. The fee is non-refundable if you leave before your agreed time commitment or are asked to leave due to contrary behavior on your part, you forfeit the fee you paid. The money goes to support those guests who come to deal with their chronic illness and attend the retreat program
- No guests between 9 pm – 7 am. Quiet time 10 pm to 7 am
- All power is turned off each evening at 9:00 p.m. to conserve energy, as we are off the electrical grid. We generate our own power via the sun.So bring your headlamp or flashlight for reading, etc.
- No violence
- No alcohol in any of the out buildings
- Bring flashlight/head lamp (for reading, walking, etc. – after hours), water bottle, sunscreen, favorite hat (the sun is quite bright), environmentally sensitive soap, shampoo/conditioner (we discharge our grey water into the gulch and pride ourselves in stepping gently on the earth)
- Willingness to walk softly on the earth
- Perfumed body products not allowed due to the sensitivity of our chronically ill retreat guests
- No smoking on the property. If you smoke please do not apply until you quit
- Headphones are required for listening to personal music
- Willingness to participate in weekly process meetings to monitor how things are going and levels of satisfaction.
- In order to respect the privacy of our guests, neighbors, and your fellow volunteers, we ask that you are back on the property each evening by 10:00 p.m. or spend the night elsewhere. Interns are responsible for their own health insurance and medical care, and for any property damage other than normal wear and tear.When arriving here, we ask our interns to pack very lightly (everything you need can be brought here in a “carry on bag” (we have very little storage). Good quality clothing, can be purchased for as little as a dollar at our local thrift store. We all wear clothing from this store.DO YOU HAVE ANY FEARS OF BUGS, GECKOS, WILDLIFE OR DARKNESS? Yes or No? This a tropical island, so there are lots of harmless critters that we co-exist with each day.Please know this is a place of retreat and healing and that KoKoLuLu seldom offers opportunities for excursions from the property. Individual interns in our program will need to arrange all off-property outings and activities on their own.Intern: I accept the offerings of Kokolulu Farm and Cancer Retreats Inc. and agree to fulfill the expectations listed above. I will intern for _____ months beginning __________________________. Enclosed is my cheque or money order for $390 to reserve my space at Kokolulu Farm and Cancer Retreats Inc. for 3 months. I understand that my fee is non-refundable, should I decide to leave early or Kokolulu asks me to leave because of contrary behavior while I am interning at Kokolulu Farm and Cancer Retreats Inc. I forfeit the $390 fee. _______________________________________________________________
- Signature & Date
We receive over 100 inquiries a week regarding our intern program. It is impossible to answer everyones questions, as this takes time away from focusing on our guests. Having trust and faith that this will be a fit for you is key to having a successful experience at Kokolulu